Monday, June 30, 2008

What to do this weekend?


Z!'s suggestion...

"Team,
So I thought I'd let you know about what is going on close to home this weekend. It's a race I really love. About four years ago I started my racing career there and I can't get enough of the place ever since.
This weekend is the Glorious Mtb Stage Race at the Osterling Farm in Marysville. It is a really good place for beginners, the hardest obstacles they have are logs. Maybe that's why I was able to ride there at that point in time ;-) The race starts on friday night with a night time trial, I'm pretty sure this is the only one of its kind around. I haven't seen any other races like that. Saturday there are two options, a standard XC race and a 6 hour endurance race. I've done both. They are both unique and are both awesome. You can race super hard there so it's brutal to try that for 6 hours, but it's amazing none the less. Sunday features two races. A hillclimb in the morning, one of the hardest climbs around. It's about a quarter paved and the rest is jeep trail to the top. In the mid day you can test out your speed in the short track cross country race. It's very close to a cyclocross race. And it's also amazing for good spectating. The Elite/Expert field always gives a heated spectacle. The ride from carlisle to marysville on the road is pretty cool too, so that would be a sweet mid-ride break ;-)
But it's not just about the racing. This is a super awesome weekend at one of the very best venues in the mid atlantic. It's about the weekend experience. Between all of the racing there is a bunch of fun events. The huffy toss is my favorite, you get to throw a bike. It actually sounds like a drag but its thrilling. The carnage flies, as do the bike parts! Hang out on Sat evening for the fun events - bike polo, trials, tricycle dual slalom and the band and beverages. Yes, bands and beverages.....nothing better after a hard day of racing.
It's not just because I know mike that I build this weekend up so much. This is seriously my favorite racing event of the year. I love the osterling farm and racing there, plain and simple. This is another place that generally isn't open to riding. It's private property so there aren't many chances to get out there and enjoy such a good venue thats so close to home.
I'll make this easy:
Later,
Zach Adams"

No comments: