Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Fast Albert Demolishes the Competition!


Wow, does Fast Albert EVER have an off season?

Here's his report from the Mountain State XC Ski Marathon:

"I really liked the race. Very informal. It was a beautiful day -
Whitegrass in March with complete snow cover, bright sun, high 40's and no wind. It was supposed to be 25Km but it sure felt longer. There was quite a bit of climbing and they said the course was a bit different from previous years. I had skied over to Canaan, rode up the lift and skied back down around and down 3 mile trail earlier in the morning.

The race started at 1 so I had time to switch to my wife's lighter back
country skis (no metal edge) and couldn't believe how much lighter they
were. The boots felt like slippers compared to my boots.

It got fairly warm and there was very little glide at all in my skis.
The route was sort of slushy in places and the set track was missing in
various locations and then was wiped out by the skaters. There was a
fairly long downhill that was actually pretty fast. It has been a long
time since I used skis with out metal edges so it was tricky trying to
gain control. It reminded me of my first time cross country skiing and
flying thru the woods with no control. The sun went behind the trees and
the downhill section started to firm up and was very fast the last 2
laps.

The folks at Whitegrass are the best. I thought they would probably
cancel the race because there were so few people and was pleasantly
surprised they went ahead and had it. Then I felt bad keeping them out
there when there were only 3 of us left after the shorter races had
finished. No problem at all - they were just happy it was nice out.
Chip must have thanked me 4 different times for coming out and racing.
If you ever get a chance to do the race, you should give it a try. I
think they said it was the 15th year of the race but they might say that
every year.

I would like to try skating skis sometime. They look fun and fast.

Mountain State XC Marathon Sunday March 2 Results
25 Km Skate
Jason Cyr 35 Davis WV 2:26
James South 37 Uniontown, Pa DNF

25 Km Classic
Albert Greene 45 Woodbridge, Va 2:41
Bill Pope, Oakland, Md 3:02

10 Km Skate
Rodger Carter 39 Clarksville, Md 1:06
Chip Chase 54 Canaan Valley 1:11

7 Km Skate
Charlie Waters 45 Canaan Valley WV 0:42
Steve Strothers 49 Cabin John, Md :45
Marty Byers 47 Potomac, Md :57 min

7 Km Classic
Jennifer Carter 47 Clarksville, Md :56

BB Biathlon Sat March 1 Results
Name (Hits out of 9) Time
Eric Suter-Bull 9 8:26
Kathryn Suter 9 9:21
Mason Clark 6 11:06
Nick Merriam 6 14:02
Chase Sutton 9 14:51

Jennifer Fri 6 16:29

P.S. Sarah was going to school on Monday and was using the Whitegrass water
bottle I won. Karen told Sarah that I had won it for coming in first
place. Sarah immediately called me at work and asked how many people
were in the race - she is pretty quick for only being 8. Great deductive
reasoning - dad wins = he was the only one in the race. Actually there
were 2 people including me! The other racer was 70 years old (a super
fast 70 years old and super nice guy!)."

M.

No comments: